Although El Nino has let us off the hook a bit this winter, most of the time Syracuse, NY winters are much colder and severe. Even though we’ve enjoyed higher temperatures, the nights still leave us feeling the chill. If your home is uncomfortable and your energy costs are high, your insulation could be the problem – especially if your home is pre-1980s. So, how can you save energy and money on your utility bills? By making sure your home is insulated from the top down.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, “insulation in your home provides a resistance to heat flow.” They state that proper insulation of a home not only reduces heating and cooling costs, but improves home comfort as well. The signs are usually pretty obvious if you need insulation in your everyday living space – cold spots in your home, drafts, and home comfort equipment running frequently – but whether your attic is properly insulated or not might not be as readily apparent. If your attic is not properly insulated, though, your Syracuse, NY home is likely experiencing greatly diminished energy efficiency. How can you tell if your attic needs more insulation? Here are five ways you can tell:
- Sneak a peek: Look into your attic space. In the Syracuse, NY region, attics should have a minimum of 12 inches of insulation. If yours doesn’t, your home could benefit from adding insulation.
- Your home’s age: If your home was built before 1980, it likely needs additional attic insulation.
- Icicle issues: Do you have ice dams, large, damaging icicles or hot spots on your roof during the winter? If the answer is yes, then it’s a good sign your Syracuse, NY home is experiencing significant heat loss.
- Joisting match: Can you see the joists in your attic? If the answer is yes, you need additional insulation.
- Lack of comfort: If you’re too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter, your attic insulation could be inadequate – especially if the utility bills for your Syracuse, NY are unusually high.
We know that sometimes it’s tough to know if you need attic insulation, which is why we offer a free complete energy audit prior to installing any new insulation. One of our BPI-certified technicians conducts your audit. Using state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment, the technician will analyze your home and discover if attic insulation will help you enjoy greater home comfort and energy savings. If you’d like to learn more about how attic insulation can help you save energy and feel more comfortable in your Syracuse, NY home, then give Standard Insulating a call today at (800) 738-1424 and one of our representatives will be glad to assist you. If you’d prefer to email us, we can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.